PBRN Pragmatic Research and Translation Learning Group Call: Patient Engagement in Research and the Role of PBRNs
The PBRN Pragmatic Research and Translation (PRT) Learning Group (LG), led by Paul Meissner, Rowena Dolor, and Jonathan Tobin, met on Monday, January 5th, 2015 at 1-2 pm ET/12-1pm CT/11am-12pm MT/10-11am PT to discuss Patient Engagement in Research and the Role of PBRNs.
Communications about this learning group are distributed through a dedicated listserv. If you would like to join the PRT LG listserv, please email PBRN@ahrq.hhs.gov with the subject line "Subscribe PRT LG Listserv".
Pragmatic Research and Translation – General Resources
- Dolor RJ, Schmit KM, Graham DG, et al. Guidance for researchers developing and conducting clinical trials in practice-based research networks (PBRNs). J Am Board Fam Med 2014 Nov-Dec;27(6):750-8.
- Gaglio B, Phillips SM, Heurtin-Roberts S, et al. How pragmatic is it? Lessons learned using PRECIS and RE-AIM for determining pragmatic characteristics of research. Implement Sci 2014 Aug 28;9:96.
- Glasgow RE, Kessler RS, Ory MG, et al. Conducting rapid, relevant research: lessons learned from the My Own Health Report project. Am J Prev Med 2014 Aug;47(2):212-9.
- Concannon TW, Guise JM, Dolor RJ, et al. A National Strategy to Develop Pragmatic Clinical Trials Infrastructure. Clin Transl Sci 2014 Apr;7(2):164-171.
- Yawn BP, Dietrich A, Graham D, et al. Preventing the voltage drop: keeping practice-based research network (PBRN) practices engaged in studies. J Am Board Fam Med 2014 Jan-Feb;27(1):123-35.
- Langley GL, Moen R, Nolan KM, et al. The Improvement Guide: A Practical Approach to Enhancing Organizational Performance (2nd edition). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers; 2009.
- Mold JW and Peterson KA. Primary care practice-based research networks: working at the interface between research and quality improvement. Ann Fam Med 2005 May-Jun;3 Suppl 1:S12-20.
- Godwin M, Ruhland L, Casson I, et al. Pragmatic controlled clinical trials in primary care: the struggle between external and internal validity. BMC Med Res Methodol 2003 Dec 22;3:28.
- Bradley C. Designing Medical and Educational Intervention Studies. Diabetes Care 1993 Feb;16(2):509-518.
Patient and Community Engagement in Pragmatic Research Trials
- Spears W, Tsh JY, Potter MB, et al. Use of community engagement strategies to increase research participation in practice-based research networks (PBRNs). J Am Board Fam Med 2014 Nov-Dec;27(6):763-71.
- Getrich CM, Sussman AL, Campbell-Voytal K, et al. Cultivating a cycle of trust with diverse communities in practice-based research: a report from PRIME Net. Ann Fam Med 2013 Nov-Dec;11(6):550-8.
- Dolor RJ, Greene SM, Thompson E, et al. Partnership-driven Resources to Improve and Enhance Research (PRIMER): a survey of community-engaged researchers and creation of an online toolkit. Clin Transl Sci 2011 Aug;4(4):259-265.
- Tapp H and Dulin M. The science of primary health-care improvement: potential and use of community-based participatory research by practice-based research networks for translation of research into practice. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2010 Mar;235(3):290-9.
Dissemination and Implementation of Pragmatic Trial Research
- Heintzman J, Gold R, Krist A, et al. Practice-based research networks (PBRNs) are promising laboratories for conducting dissemination and implementation research. J Am Board Fam Med 2014 Nov-Dec;27(6):759-62.
- Albright K, Gechter K, and Kempe A. Importance of mixed methods in pragmatic trials and dissemination and implementation research. Acad Pediatr 2013 Sep-Oct;13(5):400-7.
- Rosenblum D, Alving B. The role of the clinical and translational science awards program in improving the quality and efficiency of clinical research. Chest 2011 Sep;140(3):764-7.
Electronic Medical Record Use and Resources in Pragmatic Research Trials
- Peterson KA, Delaney BC, Arvanitis TN, et al. A model for the electronic support of practice-based research networks. Ann Fam Med 2012 Nov-Dec;10(6):560-7.
- Pace WD, Cifuentes M, Valuck RJ, et al. An electronic practice-based network for observational comparative effectiveness research. Ann Intern Med 2009 Sep 1;151(5):338-40.
- Brown CA and Lilford RJ. The stepped wedge trial design: a systematic review. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2006 Nov 8;6:54.